Presenting slide-object while video is playing

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 15 14:47:06 UTC 2012

Francesco,

Since you asked for suggestions, I took a little
trip down memory lane, to the days before we
limited our methodology to what could be done
with digital computers.  Back in the early 1980s
I did visual psychophysics, and back then if we
needed to superimpose stimuli we would just use a
half-silvered mirror set at 45° in front of the
subject.  So here's how you could do this the
old-school way:  Present your movie on one
display screen, and your overlay on a second
display screen (EP2 can do this now).  Put a
half-silvered mirror in front of the subject,
angled 45° relative to the subject.  Put one
display (e.g., the movie) straight beyond the
mirror, and the second display off at 90° to the mirror.
Voilà!  Now the subject looks through the mirror
and sees the two displays combined.

You might also achieve much the same effect with
a pair of video projectors aimed at the same
screen.  Of course, these methods make both
displays translucent, so if you want, say, the
red square to completely occlude the underlying
video then this will not work.  I cannot think of
any way around that, perhaps someone else can do better.

-- David McFarlane