Presenting slide-object while video is playing

francesco.biondi at ymail.com francesco.biondi at ymail.com
Fri May 18 10:22:44 UTC 2012

thanks david for your suggestions.

so far the only available idea is editing my video inserting some objects
overlaying it;
then play the edited video in eprime and gather participants response to
the objects onset
via Wait-objects.
The problems related to this method concern timing, since I will have some
variable (video's frame rate
and monitor's refresh rate) I cannot control.

I dont have any other better ideas.

2012/5/15 David McFarlane <mcfarla9 at msu.edu>

> [...]
>> on-the-fly video mixing capabilities, which is a very tall order.  I know
>> that intuitively, overlapping a couple of visual stimuli seems trivial, but
>> if you think through the mechanics of how moving images are made by
>> rewriting the screen with each frame, you will see that overlapping stimuli
>> with video is not at all trivial.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> -- David McFarlane
>>

>> At 5/15/2012 04:33 AM Tuesday, francesco.biondi at ymail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> the target (eg, a red square) I need to show to participants overlays
>>> the video,
>>> then I cannot use a Slide Objects composed by multiple objects
>>> (video+text).
>>>
>>> I ve seen you mentioned Matlab; I thought to consider it, but I have no
>>> updates from that side.
>>>
>>> Indeed, about video-editing I am trying to run this way, but I think I
>>> would have problems
>>> with timing, because I should consider both the video's frame-rate and
>>> the monitor refresh-rate;
>>> I guess this may be problematic for the reliability of recorded times.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> 2012/5/14 David McFarlane <<mailto:mcfarla9 at msu.edu>mcfa**rla9 at msu.edu<mcfarla9 at msu.edu>
>>> >
>>> Does any part of your superimposed text overlap with the video?  If so,
>>> then you will run into the problem discussed at <
>>> http://groups.google.com/**group/e-prime/browse_thread/**
>>> thread/2bcf7ebef4211832<http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/2bcf7ebef4211832>
>>> 2bcf7ebef4211832<http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/2bcf7ebef4211832>.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> David McFarlane
>>> E-Prime training online: <http://psychology.msu.edu/**
>>> Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx<http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx>
>>> Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (<http://twitter.com/**EPrimeMaster<http://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster>
>>>

>>> At 5/14/2012 08:14 AM Monday, francesco biondi wrote:
>>> I ve just realised I made a mistake..
>>>
>>> when I write slide-objects
>>> I mean text-objects
>>>
>>> Sorry
>>>
>>> waiting for reply!
>>>
>>> Il giorno lunedì 14 maggio 2012 11:53:50 UTC+2, francesco biondi ha
>>> scritto:
>>> Hi all!
>>> I ve posted a topic on PSTforum but..no reply yet..
>>> then, I will turn my problem over to you..
>>>

>>> I need to show a video to participants using a MovieDisplay-object.
>>> While the video is playing, I need to show, superimposed to the video,
>>> some slide-objects covering not the whole display, but only a small
>>> part of it. After participant's response to the object, the object
>>> will disappear, but the video will continue without any interruption.
>>>
>>> I dont know how I can show slide-objects together with the video
>>> without interrupting it (letting it play without crashes).

*Francesco Biondi*