Feedback on the same screen as stimulus

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 22 14:17:41 UTC 2012

See the "Mid", "Context.GetAttrib", and "Context.SetAttrib" topics in
the E-Basic Help facility.

As for "brackets vs. quotes"...  Well, this gets indirectly to a pet
peeve of mine.  You see, rational programming languages (such as C)
use the same sytax for "subroutines" and "functions", and the best
languages eliminate that distinction altogether (e.g., in C
everything is a function -- "subroutines" are nothing more than
functions that return void).  Alas, VBA (and thus E-Basic) makes a
hard distinction between these two concepts.  This includes different
syntax.  The arguments to VBA Functions *must* be enclosed in
parentheses (), while the arguments to VBA Subroutines must *not* be
enclosed in parentheses!  Sheesh!  And if you fail to do that, then
you will get an error message that is entirely unrelated to the
syntax error!  I cannot tell you how many hours I have lost in
debugging errors due to this absurd difference in syntax.

Anyway, if you are unsure how to use E-Prime, then you should first
follow my advice in these two essays:
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/5425e03968cab428
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/b0ce54870b723fc3

It would also not hurt if you took a course specific to E-Prime,
e.g., http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx .

In short, as in any serious enterprise, you need to first take time
out to get proper training, and that means including training time in
projected deadlines.

-- David McFarlane