Simple cumulative timing question

S saultsj at missouri.edu
Sat Nov 10 18:58:14 UTC 2012

Thanks for explaining more about  the uses for cumulative timing, I usually
use event timing, because that's normally most important to me, but
recently have needed to use cumulative timing for longer-term timing
accuracy of trial & block durations. I have related questions about  event
and cumulative timing, and combining them. If I have a visual stimulus what
I want displayed for 100 ms (6 refresh cycles at 60 hz) and use event
timing for this object, E-Prime documentation recommends setting the
duration of that object to 90 ms to minimize the chance that E-Prime will
miss detecting a refresh (a little more than half a fresh cycle to watch
for the next vertical blank). I've tested this, and on our PCs I've found
that it does reduce missed refreshes (though I've found subtracting 5
rather than 10 ms works more consistently).  If I set the visual display
duration to 100 ms, the onset to onset time (to the following object) will
occasionally be 116 ms, but that almost never happens if I set the duration
to 90 or 95 ms. I have the following two questions about event and
cumulative timings:

   1. Is this adjustment (setting duration to about half a refresh less
   than desired target duration) generally a good practice to achieve the most
   consistent event timing durations for visual displays?
   2. How does this practice need to be reconsidered when using a
   combination of event and cumulative timings? I've used only one or the
   other, and have always set duration to the exact value I want when using
   cumulative timing, but usually 5 ms less when using event timing (combined
   with onset syncs and no clear after).

-- Thanks for advice and suggestions (which I promise to test before using
in my experiments).