Simple cumulative timing question

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Nov 13 16:51:29 UTC 2012

Please do the following exercise:  Start with a new program.  Put the
following three E-Objects in a Procedure:

- TextDisplay1:  "A", Duration = 1000, Data Logging = Time Audit
- InLine1:  Sleep 1000
- TextDisplay2:  "B", Duration = 1000, Data Logging = Time Audit,
Timing Mode = Cumulative

Run this and observe the outcome.  How long does the "A" appear on
the screen?  How long does the "B" appear?  Look at the results in
the .edat file.  How long were the OnsetDelays?  How does all that
compare with the prescribed durations of the stimuli and Sleep?  What
would happen if you changed the prescribed durations?  Test your
ideas by running again with different durations for the stimuli &
Sleep.  What do you conclude about what appears on the screen during
the OnsetDelay of a stimulus object using Cumulative timing
mode?  Does it seem that the screen simply keeps showing whatever it
already showed during this time?

-- David McFarlane