Highlighting Objects Based on Subject Response

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 12:16:55 UTC 2012

Hi Nate,

I usually implement object highlighting  by changing the objects background
colour or bounding box style. E.g.

        hitObject.BackColor = CColor("silver")
        hitObject.Draw

Where hitObject is the selected slide (sub)object, which can be a SlideText
or SlideImage object. You can modify any graphics attribute on the fly
using similar code. (Check out the help docs about SlideText and SlideImage
object attributes)

If you use the keyboard to select "1" or "2", then you can use the names of
the objects to get a reference to the selected slide sub object:

Dim theState As SlideState
Dim hitObject As SlideText  'in case this the selected object is a text
object
Set theState = theSlide.States(theSlide.ActiveState)
Select Case theSlide.RESP
case "1"
   hitObject = theState.Objects("Text1")
case "2"
   hitObject = theState.Objects("Text2")
End Select

When using the mouse you could use the theState.HitTest(x,y) method to
determine which object was selected (if any).

The second part of your question is about having a fixed response window of
6 seconds, while updating the slide objects at the same time. There are
several way's to implement this, and I think a simple while-loop that polls
the isPending() method is the easiest:
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3026

Cheers
Paul