key press/release & RT

Courtney Griffin ianajcxcx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:26:31 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I am programming my first experiment with E-Prime and have run into some
issues I was hoping that someone might be able to help with. For my
experiment I will be having subjects simultaneously hold down two keys (u
and o), a stimulus is presented and they are to respond to it by releasing
one of the two keys and making a movement to another to respond ({TAB} or
{END}). Additionally, I would also like to record movement time (time from
release of key to response) and reaction time (time of release of one of
the initial keys). So far I have already gone in and allowed both Key
Presses and Releases. My issue is actually how to get the program to
recognize the release of the key and start recording the time, so I decided
to use the Clock.Read function, but I'm not sure exactly how to implement
it. Any assistance with this would be TRULY appreciated. Here is a bit of
the code I have come up with, but I know that I am probably nowhere near
where I need to be:

Dim kbState As Integer

Do

If Keyboard.GetKeyState("u") = ebStatePress And _
Keyboard.GetKeyState("o") = ebStatePress Then

If kbState = Keyboard.GetKeyState ("{END}")= 0 Then
Clock.Read

ElseIf kbState = Keyboard.GetKeyState ("{TAB}") = 1 Then
Clock.Read - Stimulus.OnsetTime