Star pattern

Corona shunyata.aishwarya at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:54:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

I only recently switched to e-prime having used Inquisit software
previously. I am designing a dot probe experiment with images. After a pair
of images are displayed, I present a star in either of the two locations
where the images appeared. The participant is then expected to click
anywhere in the star location. I am having problems coming up with a star
shaped design that would be generated in the locations where the two images
appear.
Is it better to just create a star bitmap image, and then ask the user to
click on the location where the star appeared? My only problem with this
strategy is that I would not be able to track mouse co-ordinates outside of
the star image, since I would not have the exact point co-ordinates of the
star. (For example, if I were to use the star as shown on this page:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6056225_measure-interior-angles-star.html , and
used the saved bitmap image as a target prompt (i.e. the star that would
appear in either of two locations where the images were), I would be able
to estimate the point co-ordinates). Tracking mouse co-ordinates is vital
in our experiment, as it is going to be used in tandem with, and to
validate eye tracking that will also be used.
My images were of the following dimensions (if that helps in any way):
424 * 283
(rectangular images)

Below is a sample code I have been trying to run to generate a star image:
Dim cnvs As Canvas
Set cnvs = display.Canvas
cnvs.PenColor = CColor("white")
cnvs.FillColor = CColor("black")
cnvs.RoundedRectangle 40, 35, 300, 40, 25, 25

Dim arrthepoint(5) as Integer
Dim arrthepointy(5) as Integer
'thepoint[5].center = cnvs.RoundedRectangle.CenterPoint();
Dim i as integer
Dim x as double
Dim y as double
for i = 0 to i = 4

x = Cos(i * 2 * PI / 5)

y = Sin(i * 2 * PI / 5)

arrthepoint(i) = arrthepoint(x)
arrthepointy(i) = arrthepointy(y)

Dim p as double
p = 3.1415926
cnvs.Line arrthepoint(2),arrthepointy(0),0,0
cnvs.Line arrthepoint(0),arrthepointy(3),0,0

Next i

I would be grateful if anyone could offer some insight.

Thank you for your help,
Corona