problem with image/screen resolution in E-Prime 1.2 / soft & unreadable type in image file

Martin Smith-Rodden paratelos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 02:56:20 UTC 2012

Hello --

We're stuck with an older version of E-Prime (1.2) in our lab. I'm using it
for a lengthy reading comprehension procedure where participants view
emulated webpages. Rather than use a mixture of elements and objects to
construct the page in a slide (the use of large sections of type kept
kicking the script size into being too large), my workaround was to
construct the page as a Photoshop file with all the elements (including
type) in the image.

[image:
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=78b6d33057&view=att&th=139ccea0199f3564&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-CsHTWFlFt3ipMpJR18olp&sadet=1347762684830&sads=4OOfwdI8C6y_NJMTYpjYe-8RWik]

I smugly thought my workaround was a rather clever way to get around the
script-size-problem, until we saw how the type rendered. Which is to say: *
HORRIBLY*.
It came out looking very low in resolution, with some shadowing or
"ghosting" in the letters. Clearly, that's problematic in a reading
comprehension procedure.

[image:
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=78b6d33057&view=att&th=139ccecc47151e4c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-CsHTWFlFt3ipMpJR18olp&sadet=1347763071777&sads=IBIVAEictwzf00VdcWnbD39k_-E]

So, I "upped" the resolution of the .bmp image (1200 pixels wide) and it
still looks low-rez. The images you're seeing here are actually the *high*-resolution
version of my image. Adjustments and changes in the display device
properties create other problems: the screen image goes way too small and
the elements of certain slides show up having been moved in random
directions.

*Is there any solution to this (rather frustrating) issue within E-Prime
1.2?*

Martin Smith-Rodden
Graduate student,
Applied Experimental Psychology Program