Script for cleaning up participants' typed responses

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 20:23:10 UTC 2013

hi,

You can get rid of explicit {SHIFT} responses in the response values by
setting an allowable mask that only includes the characters you actually
allow. For example, you might set it to the following to allow alphabetic
characters, the equal sign and the plus sign:
{ALPHA}{=}{+}{ENTER}

If you use the enter-key as input-terminator, you also have to include that
one explicitly.

So, that is the easy part. If you also would like to replace the special
{key} responses with the original literal (i.e. replace {+} with just +),
you also have to add some script after the input screen (TextDisplay1 in
this example):

Dim t As String
Dim pos As Integer
Dim ii As Integer

' Define a table with two columns: {key} and replacement
' The rows must include all literal {key}'s used in the input allowable mask
Const NSPECIAL%=3
Dim special (1 To NSPECIAL, 1 To 2) As String
special(1,1) = "{+}"
special(1,2) = "+"
special(2,1) = "{=}"
special(2,2) = "="
special(3,1) = "{ENTER}"
special(3,2) = ""

t = UCase(TextDisplay1.RESP) 'convert input to upper case
For ii=1 To NSPECIAL
    Dim key As String
    key = special(ii,1)

    'find special {key} strings
    pos = InStr(t,key)
    If pos<>0 Then
        ' replace special {key}'s with their original character
        t = Left(t,pos-1) & special(ii,2) & Mid(t,pos+Len(key))
        ii = ii-1 ' tricky cheat: retry this same special sequence again
    End If
Next

' show result in next text display object
TextDIsplay2.Text = TextDisplay1.RESP & ebCrLf & "is replaced by:" & ebCrLf
& t

'overwrite the RESP attribute (note: disable default loging first)
c.SetAttrib TextDisplay1.Name & ebDot & ebLogNameRESP, t

Also find this example code in the attached script (requires EP 2.0.10.242).

Best
Paul