Timing issue - movie / sound

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 6 14:28:58 UTC 2013

Soizic,

The Knowledge Base at the PST website has some information about this
issue.  But ultimitely, you need to use some external calibrating
equipment (e.g., oscilloscope, or Black Box Toolkit
(http://www.blackboxtoolkit.com )) to measure this all for
yourself.  E.g., put a photosensor on your display device, a
microphone up to your sound device, and measure the actual delays for
your equipment.

The PST website has some advice on how to minimize sound latency in
general.  You also want to minimize the latency between movie onset
and sound onset, for that you should use a Slide to start the movie
and sound at the same time.

Now, if you merely want to add some synchronizing signals for your
video and physiological recordings, then you might try another
approach.  In particular, use WritePort, OnsetSignal..., or Task
Events to operate a low-latency digital signal through something like
a parallel port, and pipe that directly into your electrophysiology
or video -- if need be, use that signal to operate the flashing of an
LED to record on the video, etc.  You should be able to think of something.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----