How to schedule "breaks" within a block?

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 20:16:13 UTC 2013

it should be possible to do this without any coding magic. Just create two
levels using a block list and trial list (like in a 'basic' paradigm). Then
set the number of block samples to 4 (using weight 4 for example). The
trial list should contain all 2x48 trials, using random selection as you
wish. The trick is to terminate the trial list after playing 24 trials by
setting the 'exit list' property to 24 samples. That's it.

The next thing is to create a proper pause screen. Although this can be
done by including a slide or text object after the trial list, you need
another small trick to make sure that the pause screen is not displayed
after the last block. My preferred solution is to use a slide with two (or
more) tab pages. One tab contains the text that should be displayed between
blocks, while another page is used to show after the last block. Then add a
column to the BlockList to specify the ActiveState property of pause slide
(using the [] syntax). More complex designs might require other techniques,
but in most cases switching the ActiveState property of the slide will do.

Have a look at the attached example script to see how I did this from
scratch (in only two minutes) using a fresh 'basic' script.

best
paul