Text display while a video is running

Wojciech Kaczkowski wkkaczkowski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 18:32:29 UTC 2013

I'm currently designing an experiment in EPrime 2.0 where participants are
watching a video depicting a fight between two people. The participants are
instructed to indicate whether they find a particular behavior aggressive
by pressing a space bar. They can make their responses multiple times and
at any time while the video is playing. There is no correct or incorrect
response.

The thing that I'm having a problem with is that I want a small text
display to come on the screen whenever the participant presses a space bar.
The text would say something like "Your response has been registered" so
that the participant knows that his response was recorded. However, I do
not want for the text display to have any effect on the video - it should
keep going no matter when the participant makes the response. Basically,
I'm trying to set up a text display while the movie clip is running. The
participant's response would initiate the text display, but not terminate
the video.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about setting up this
experiment? So far, the only possible actions allowable for a response are
either to terminate a video, jump to a label, or no action. Is there a way
that one can initiate a text display without ending the video?