Text display while a video is running

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Dec 3 19:11:38 UTC 2013

To answer the question as posed, yes, there should be a way that one
can initiate a Text display without ending the video.  Would you also
like to know how?  A lot of details involved, but here are just a few
broad thoughts to get you started...

For your Movie object, set Stop After to No, and Duration to 0.  Now
the movie will continue to play while your program goes on to run
other things.  In particular, it can move on to process responses and
present feedback.  As for that aspect...

I would probably use some inline code to run a loop for the response
feedback.  E.g., follow the Movie object with a Wait object that
waits for a response, then after that a Text object to present
feedback (making sure that it does not overlap the movie), and then
an inline that logs the RTTime of the Wait response and loops back to
the Wait if the Movie is not done yet.  You could then derive RTs by
comparison of the Wait RTTimes to the Movie OnsetTime.

Alternatively (and likely the way I would do it), set up the input
mask for the Movie to collect multiple responses, and then make use
of that facility as shown in the Multiple Response Collection example
on the PST web site.  Use inline code right after the Movie to detect
any new response to the Movie.  Then present your Text feedback, and
more inline to loop back to the response detection inline.  At the
end of the Procedure, after the response loop, more inline code to
log all the responses to the Movie, as shown how in the Multiple
Response Collection example.

As you can see, this project may require a variety of advanced
skills, so you have your work cut out for you.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----