Continuous recognition task with pseudo-random occurence

Raphaël Thézé raphael.theze at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 08:39:13 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I started using E-prime about 10 days ago to program an experiment. I
sincerely tried to teach myself how to use it and so far always managed to
find a solution to every problem I was facing. However, as I don't any
programming background, it seems I've been stuck for the last two days and
cannot figure out how to fix that. I'm expecting it to be a very simple and
obvious explanation that I could not understand, but anyway,, if you could
help me it would be very appreciated.

Here is the idea: It's a continuous recognition task where pictures are
presented twice within a trial. Some of them (half) are repeated
immediately after the first occruence, and the other after a few
intervening items. The simple and lazy way would be to set up a list and
decide manually in what order the pictures are to be presented, but that
would not be very elegant and slightly biased. So the strategy is to have
an identical sequence but randomly select what pictures will be in that
order from trial to trial: E.g. A B C C D D A E B F F etc. is the sequence
and on trial 1 we have A = a plane, B = a tree, C = an apple, etc. and on
trial 2 we have A = a tree, B = a truck, C = a plane etc.

In E-prime, after the pictures are uploaded in the Cache memory and their
names in list called ImageList, I put an InLine to do the random
attribution. The Code (59) array is where I store the elements of my
sequence which are order in a List called Sequence which follows the the
InLine and has a procedure nested for each element of the sequence (130 in
total) to show the image associated with the level.

Dim Code (59) as integer
Dim Stim (59) as string
Dim k as integer
Dim j as integer
Dim l as integer
Dim n as integer

Code(0)= 11
Code(1)= 110
Code(2)= 21
Code(3)= 210
Code(4)= 31
Code(5)= 310
Code(6)= 41
Code(7)= 410
Code(8)= 51
Code(9)= 510
Code(10)= 61
Code(11)= 610
Code(12)= 71
Code(13)= 710
Code(14)= 81
Code(15)= 810
Code(16)= 91
Code(17)= 910
Code(18)= 101
Code(19)= 1010
Code(20)= 111
Code(21)= 1110
Code(22)= 121
Code(23)= 1210
Code(24)= 131
Code(25)= 1310
Code(26)= 141
Code(27)= 1410
Code(28)= 151
Code(29)= 1510
Code(30)= 161
Code(31)= 1610
Code(32)= 171
Code(33)= 1710
Code(34)= 181
Code(35)= 1810
Code(36)= 191
Code(37)= 1910
Code(38)= 201
Code(39)= 2010
Code(40)= 211
Code(41)= 2110
Code(42)= 221
Code(43)= 2210
Code(44)= 231
Code(45)= 2310
Code(46)= 241
Code(47)= 2410
Code(48)= 251
Code(49)= 2510
Code(50)= 261
Code(51)= 2610
Code(52)= 271
Code(53)= 2710
Code(54)= 281
Code(55)= 2810
Code(56)= 291
Code(57)= 2910
Code(58)= 301
Code(59)= 3010

'Creates a string of stimulus pictures

For k = 1 to 60
Stim(k-1)=ImageList.GetAttrib (k, "ImageList")
Next k

'Randomly select a picture from Stim string and
'pairs it with an element of Code string

For l = 0 to 59
j = Random(0, 59)
 Stim (j) = Code (l)
Next l

For k = 1 to 130

'When code value matches the value in the attribute,
'the associated Stim picture is set in the ID column

For n = 0 to 59
if Sequence.GetAttrib (k, "order")= Code (n) Then
Sequence.SetAttrib k, "ID", Stim
End if
Next n

Next k

Ok, now I feel my problem is in the last part because I cannot figure out
how to give the instruction to check if the code number in the sequence
list matches any number in the code array (and there is only one solution
possible) to subsequently assign in the empty attribute called "ID" the
picture name that was randomly associated previously. Or maybe I'm far from
going anywhere and my strategy is wrong, but if anyone could just help me.
I don't mind spending hours through user's guide, e-basic help or this
group to find out how functions work until I learn how to use it, but it's
been 2 days without improvement, and it's not constructive anymore.