How can I present an image at either 100ms or 1000ms (but not both)?

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 13:10:09 UTC 2013

This sounds like a perfect situation for nested lists: create one List
with two rows:

   Row 1: Weight 10, nested list ItemList, dur 100
   Row 2: Weight 10, nested list ItemList, dur 1000

ItemList contains your 20 image filenames (along with whatever other
properties you want to record per item).
This will allow you to avoid duplication as a common item list is
sampled in both duration conditions.

You can use the same trial procedure for both rows of the List above,
using [dur] to specify how long an image appears.

best,
David

On 13/12/2013 12:57, D Burls wrote:
> Hello, I have been struggling with an issue and would appreciate some
> feedback. I am sure that this is a very simple problem, but I cannot
> figure this one out.
>
> What is the simplest way to present multiple images that I want to
> show for two possible durations (100 or 1000ms)? Currently I have
> duration as a nested variable with two identical lists apart from
> differing durations (one list for 100ms and one for 1000ms). However,
> this can lead to the problem that the same photo can come up twice
> (from the 100ms list and also the 1000ms list) - I want each image to
> occur only once at one of the durations.  Also, the number of images
> shown at each duration should ideally match by the end - that is, 10
> images have been shown for 100ms and the remaining 10 images for
> 1000ms. This process should be random at all stages.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --

David Vinson, PhD
ESRC Research Fellow
Cognitive, Perceptual & Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL: internal extension x25311)