Switching between 2 lists and conditionally skipping trials

Tronix claire.zedelius at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:38:32 UTC 2013

Hi!

I’m running into some problems programming an experiment switching randomly
between 2 lists. I want to present a text, displayed sentence by sentence,
that contains abnormalities in some, randomly selected sentences. For this,
I created a program that switches randomly between two nested lists. One
list contains regular sentences (e.g., “The tree grew.”), the other
slightly modified versions of the same sentences (e.g., “The tree gfrwr.”).
Now I don’t want to show any sentence in both the regular and abnormal
version. To achieve this, I numbered the sentences and basically tried to
tell e-prime to skip a sentence if a sentence with the same number from the
other list has already been presented. When I run the program, however, it
seems to skip all the sentences. I can’t seem to find the mistake. I’d be
very happy if somebody here could help me with this.

Here is what I did:

1. I created a variable (“Magicnumber “) that’s supposed to keep count of
the presented trials. In the beginning of the script, I set the value to 1:

c.SetAttrib "Magicnumber", 1

2. To update this value, immediately after the sentence display object I
put an inline object saying:

c.SetAttrib "Magicnumber" , "Magicnumber" + 1

3. In each of the nested lists containing the sentences, I created a
variable (“Sentencenumber”) containing the numbers 1 to 30 (from first to
last sentence).

4. I inserted a label object (“Skip”) a bit after the sentence display
object.

5. In order to skip sentences with sentence numbers already selected from
the other list, immediately before the sentence display object I inserted
an inline object saying:

If c.GetAttrib("Sentencenumber") < "Magicnumber" then

                Goto Skip

End if

Does anybody see what I did wrong here?

Thanks in advance for your help!