Vocal RT without SRBox

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 26 19:19:39 UTC 2013

As Michiel said already, for E-Prime to get a
voice RT you need an external voice key device,
which the SRBox provides.  But if you do not want
to spend US$450 or more on an SRBox and are handy
with some light electronics, then you could build
your own voice key with readily available
supplies for very little money -- I did this
myself a couple decades ago using plans from a
published paper, and I could look that up again
for anyone interested.  You would also have to
hook this up through a digital I/O port (e.g.,
parallel port), and make the appropriate adjustments in E-Prime.

FWIW, the folks building PsychoPy plan to add the
capability to use normal sound input as a voice
key, but I have no idea when they will get around to that.

-- David McFarlane