pci parallel_serial port in windows 7 vs xp

Stuart Quirk stuart.quirk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 15:44:24 UTC 2013

Hello all and thanks in advance for any feedback.

I've recently upgraded my primary lab computer and installed a pcie combo
parallel port/serial port (I had used both motherboard serial port for the
SRBOX and parallel port send a ttl signal to trigger my eye tracker).
I got a manufacturer indicated by pstnet as one people have had some luck
with:
http://www.siig.com/it-products/serial-parallel/combo/pcie/cyber-1s1p-pcie.html

It installed fine but eprime crashes when I attempt to run the utilities
program for the SRBOX and pstnet's tester program fails to find the box.
And my simple parallel port monitor program (parmon) doesn't find the port
either.
In xp (on my last computer) I was able to use inpout32.dll and then just
insert very simple inline scripts to set the address high/low within my
experiment. From what I could learn (and understand as a nonprogrammer)
inpout64x.dll is much less successful with pci cards under windows 7 64

So I'm trying to figure out is my problem the OS (as in would I have better
luck moving the OS to xp?) or is my problem a PCI card? It will take me a
good chunk of more time to wipe everything and install xp so I thought
someone here might help me save some time if that would be a pointless
exercise.

Thanks again
Stuart