Sending Netstation Events using Slides in EPrime

justine justinemayavandyke at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 21:21:13 UTC 2013

I am having problems with the timing of triggers sent from EPrime to
Netstation recording.

I am presenting sentence stimuli and I want to send triggers to specific
words in the sentence.

Because the sentences are different lengths and because my target words
appear in different positions in each sentence, I have tried a slightly
different procedure from my tried-and-tested ways of doing things.

This time, instead of having a text object for each word (and sending a
trigger for each of those objects), I have used slides. There are three
slides in my procedure now: beginning of sentence, critical word, end of
sentence. Slides are scripted so that the critical word is identifiable
from a variable in my trial list. For each of the slides, words in the
sentence are scripted to appear on the screen for 300 ms.

The problem I am having is that the send NS trial events command is not
working properly for the Slides. Prior to the slides, I have a text object
‘context sentence’. This is immediately followed by the three slides
described above. A correct trigger is sent for ‘context sentence’; however,
the next three triggers (for the slides ‘beginning of sentence’, ‘critical
word’, and ‘end of sentence’) are all sent at the exact same time as the
one for the text object ‘context sentence’.

Currently, I have one ‘send trial events’ in line at the end of the
procedure.

The duration for the slides is set to infinite.

Has anyone any experience with using slides (which are scripted to update
presentation of stimuli) and sending triggers? I would greatly appreciate
any advice.What I am trying to do is send a trigger for the word that
corresponds with my 'determiner' slide (this is a single word) and then a
trigger for the initial word that corresponds with my 'end of sentence'
slide.

I can provide further details of my set-up as necessary.
Many thanks!