latest build broke code

Travis Nichols, The Pennsylvania State University ttnicky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 18:27:34 UTC 2013

Hello,

I developed a paradigm on a lab computer running e-prime 2.0 (I believe it
was the previous build). Everything worked great on that machine. Now that
I've taken the paradigm to the computers we will be testing participants
on, it does not work properly. These computers are running the latest
version of e-prime (2.0.10.242).

It is a basic 3-back task (participants are shown a series of letters one
at a time and must indicate whether the currently displayed item matches
the letter displayed 3 times ago). Because the letters are selected
randomly (as opposed to a predetermined sequence), different trial types
are handled via different procedures and lists (e.g., first three items by
default can't be targets, then the rest are either a target or not). Since
the letters are being drawn randomly but there is a fixed ratio of how many
targets to non-targets, inline code tells the program if it draws a target
item for a non-target trial to replace that letter with another one.
Similarly, if it is a target trial, inline code tells the program to
display the target letter (via a variable ThreeLettersBack that is
constantly updated). Since the list governing target trials does not know
ahead of time what the target letter will be, the value for the list
attribute "Letters" (necessary for the text box displaying the letters in
the procedure) is left as '?'. On the older build of e-prime, the inline
code was enough to override that value and the program would correctly
display the actual target letter on target trials. On this newest build on
the other computers, for some reason the inline code is not sufficient and
the program displays '?' from the list instead of the letter value provided
by the inline code. Looking at the output files reveals that the program is
selecting a letter, for some reason it just won't display it. Non-target
trials work just fine.

Any ideas what may have changed in this latest build to make this
difference? Any recommendations for overcoming it? I will paste the inline
code below so you have more information. Again, this is just for the target
trials procedure. It references "ThreeList" which is the parent list
governing both target and nontarget trials and comes after the
list/procedure for the first three trials (nontarget by definition).

'Add contents of ThreeList to the "context" in which we are working.
c.Add ThreeList
c.Update

c.SetAttrib "Letters", ThreeLettersBack

'Set ThreeLettersBack to what was previously TwoLettersBack.
'Set TwoLettersBack to what was previously OneLetterBack.
'Set OneLetterBack to the current letter.
ThreeLettersBack = TwoLettersBack
TwoLettersBack = OneLetterBack
OneLetterBack = c.GetAttrib("Letters")

Thank you for your assistance. I know that is a lot, so I am happy to
provide more information/clarification if that will be helpful.

Travis