Problem with displaying the WhiteScreen in-between the blocks

etea eva.tomczak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 08:38:13 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I came across a problem in E-Prime that seems to be easy to overcome but is
not.. I want to show 12 percepts (here: movies [all .avi] with a different
direction encoded: away, toward, up, down). I have paired one direction
(e.g. Away) with 12 recorded sentences (.wav) - it works under Eprime. Each
direction block is preceded by what I call a "LeadInMovie" (4000ms). It
seems to work.

What I have a problem with, however, is setting up a 10sec break (with no
response, just a pre-set break) in between the block with one direction (a
problem with inserting a WhiteScreen every 12th recorded sentence; just at
the very begining of each block = event before the LeadInMovie).

So the sequence of the stimuli is:
WhiteScreen with a fixation cross (10000ms) --> LeadInMovie (4000ms) --> 12
movies that share a direction (away or toward or up or down) [those 12
movies {avi} are paired with 12 recorded sentences {wav}; I treat this part
as one block, within which no WhiteScreen or LeadInMovie is needed].

I have tried out different solutions already from changing the text display
[WhiteScreen] to bmp or even a 10sec avi, but the problem does not seem to
depend on that. I predict that there must be some script inserted, so that
I could be able to launch the WhiteScreen before every single direction
block. I have written the script in E-Prime, but there must be something
wrong with that, as the Eprime always shows only the first WhiteScreen
display, and then moves smoothly from one direction block (Away.avi) to
another (Down.avi) etc ., with no WhiteScreen shown, as if Eprime didn't
see it in-between the following blocks..

Do you have any suggestions about that? What's wrong with the script? Is
there a simpler solution than inserting the script? I am attaching the
screenshots below.

Thank you!