Creating a drop-down menu with options for subjects' responses?

Yuliya Yoncheva yuliya.yoncheva at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 23:00:16 UTC 2013

Greetings E-prime experts,

I am programming an experiment in E-prime 2.0 Professional, in which the
optimal way to collect participants' responses would be to have them select
1 out of 10 options from a drop-down menu.

(e.g., a subject needs to choose between "$10 in a week" or "$1 or $2 or $3
... immediately." It is argued that offering selection from a drop-down
menu promotes more careful consideration of each option.)

The closest example I found in the E-prime Samples database on pstnet.com<http://www.pstnet.com/support/samples.asp> was
the Visual Analog scale, which would enable on-screen presentation of all
options simultaneously (e.g., as 10 individual boxes), and allow the
subject to click on the box of their choice. However, my participants have
clinical attention deficits, therefore presenting all options at once would
be too distracting and is thus not a viable idea.

Is there a way to create a drop-down box? If not, what work-around
solutions come to mind?

One hypothetical idea I have is to create an in-line script pausing E-prime
and allowing a switch to MS Excel (where I can create a drop down menu in a
file) before returning to E-prime. The duration of such subject-paced pause
would be a proxy (albeit very rough) for response latency.

I don't know whether it is even feasible. Does anyone have experience with
such an approach? Alternatively, could anyone recommend a response
collection software that would be better suited for building drop-down
menus?

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Yuliya Yoncheva

PS: So far the experiments I have programmed have focused on millisecond
temporal precision on the presentation side (which I know is E-prime's
strength), and not flexibility on the response collection interface (which
I gather is not an emphasis in this particular software).