Some parellel port keys work, some don't

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 21:06:21 UTC 2013

Well, it's rather essential to know which pins are being used because
different pins are mapped to different registers (i.e. different
addresses). There are three 8-bit registers: data (base address), status
(base address+1) and control (base address+2). The 25 pins are input,
output, or bidirectional. The directionality of the data pins depends on
the selected mode. For internal ports you can specify this mode using the
BIOS setup, but I'm not sure how you this can be done with ports that are
not integrated on the system board. The 8 data lines (which are mapped to
the base register) are by default used for output only, so they won't
accept any input unless you explicitly instruct the hardware to change its
mode. The nice thing about the new ParallelPort object is that you can use
the GUI to select input or output mode, without any further programming.
There are also other advantages:
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=1247. If your button box is
not wired to the data lines, then they are probably connected to the lines
that are mapped to the status register (i.e. base address+1). I don't think
you can use the ParallelPort device in this case, so you could simply fall
back to the Port device.

General info about the parallel port pinning and registers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_port
Info about using input lines with the status register:
http://pfcgroot.nl/e-prime/85-tips-and-tricks/71-button-box-on-printer-port.html

best,
paul