Is anyone using Task Events to signal a response via the Parallel Port?

Scott saultsj at missouri.edu
Mon Mar 11 07:10:58 UTC 2013

I'm trying to get Task Events to work for responses as well as for stimulus
onsets and offsets. I have a program that reliably uses Task Events to send
a WriteByte to the parallel port for each onset I choose. However, I'm
having trouble marking the time of each response. So far, I've tried Target.
Keyboard.Press, Target.Keyboard.MaxCountReached (when MaxCount=1), and
Target.Keyboard.TimeLimitReached. The last one works every time, but only
when no response occurs during the response duration, as I expected.
Obviously that does not help mark a response. Press and MaxcountReached
actually does work for me sometimes, but only occasionally (which seems
odd), and I can't see any pattern to when it does and does not work. Note
that each onset event is followed by an event that write a 0 with a 20 msdelay.Also, I send
a code that's depends on the accuracy of the response about 300 ms after
end of the response time limit using WritePort. This also works rereliably,
on every trial. However, these codes are only sometimes preceded by a code
generated at the time of the response by a Keyboard event; I expect that to
happen every time there has been a response.

I have sent PST a support request, with my program, data, and event codes.This is a followup to
PST's response to my request for clarification about the meaning of each of
these Keyboard events. I am trying to apply what they explained, without
success.

Has anyone managed to get any of the Keyboard events to reliably send a
WriteByte for at the time of each response in their program? I want to be
assured that at least one of these Keyboard can work reliably.

Thanks!