Noob Trying to Program Auditory n-back task

Shawn Byron Beckett sbeckett91 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 17:52:33 UTC 2013

Hello, I am a complete E-Prime neophyte (a summer student), and so could
use a bit of help to point me in the right direction.

My experiment is composed of two (simultaneously presented) activities, to
study the effects of divided attention:

1)
I am trying to run an auditory 2-back task, where the Subject hears words
belonging to different categories (e.g. ANIMALS, FRUIT, JOBS) at a specific
rate (e.g. 1 word every 2 seconds).  If they hear a word from the same
category as the one presented 2 prior, they hit "Yes." Otherwise, they hit
"No."

For example, the sequence [WORD(correct response)]:
COW(no) DOG(no) PEAR(no) LAWYER(no) BANANA(yes) PLUMBER(yes) NURSE(no)
In this sequence, "banana" and "plumber" are both preceded 2 back by other
items ("pear" and "lawyer" respectively) that belong to their same
categories.

2)
The difficulty with this is that I am going to have another task running at
the same time, which is a visual task that is also presented in E-Prime.
The Subject will have to discriminate between large and small objects
on-screen, in which the correct answer must be given before progress can
occur. The length of time that the Subject will be performing this task
will be set by the length of time allotted to the auditory task above. So
the whole procedure will be over in say, 1 minute.

I am not sure how to model these, since they are two different tasks,
ostensibly running on two machines, that would need to be syncronized so
that they start and stop at the same time. Any ideas on how/if this is
possible would be very helpful!!

Thank you,
Shawn