Flicker

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Nov 5 19:20:32 UTC 2013

Thanks first for looking through past posts, and for laying out your
Procedure structure here.  Just a reminder, also make sure to work
through all the tutorials in the Guides that come with E-Prime.

First, your error message -- that results because .RESP returns a
String value, and in your Case you compare that to the Integer value
1.  Strings and Integers are different types, hence the error.  In
order to make that work, you need a String value for your Case, e.g.,

     Select Case E1b.RESP
     Case "1"  ' i.e., a String consisting of the "1" character
         GoTo Label2
     Case Else
         GoTo Label1
     End Select

But why stop the lesson there?  First, Select Case seems a lot of
bother for this simple case -- if the subject does not respond then
the program should loop back, otherwise it should just continue.  You
could accomplish that with merely

     If (E1b.RESP <> "1") Then Goto Label1

as long as you use the response "1" to indicate that the subject
detects the change.  But your message says that they press the space
bar.  In that case, the code should read

     If (E1b.RESP <> "{SPACE}") Then Goto Label1

or, if you set Allowable on E1b to "{SPACE}", you could also use

     If (E1b.RESP = "") Then Goto Label1

or even

     If (E1b.RTTime = 0) Then Goto Label1

or, if you also set Correct to "{SPACE}", then

     If (E1b.ACC = 0) Then Goto Label1

to detect absence of response.

Hope that helps.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----