Design that loops a visual discrimination task while waiting for keyboard input?

Colton Perry cjp872 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 19:10:54 UTC 2013

Hi all, I hope this isn't something I could have easily figured out by a
good Google search, I just haven't been able to find the correct search
terms to get what I'm going for here.

I'm trying to implement a design that's a bit beyond my understanding (most
of my experience with e-prime has been mostly pretty straight-forward
linear presentation stuff). To boil it down to a single trial, I'd like to
present a simple visual search/discrimination task alongside a set of
verbal instructions. So for example, at the onset of a trial, a text
display would appear providing instructions for a primary task to be
performed outside of e-prime (these tasks are performed on a motorcycle
infotainment system). A short time after the onset of those instructions,
the visual discrimination task would begin. So, leaving the instructions on
the display, a letter would appear. If this is a key letter, the
participant would respond with a key press (well, a foot pedal mapped to a
key press "b", but a key press to Eprime). If it's not a key letter, then
the participant does nothing and the letter disappears. The part I'm not
sure how to accomplish is that after they respond with a key press, I need
the discrimination task to repeat itself on average every 5 seconds (so 5 ±
2s) while the text display with the instructions remains the same. After
the participant completes the primary task on the motorcycle, a researcher
would then press a key to end the trial and move on to the next set of
instructions.

So it would look something like this:

Primary task instruction onset
--- key letter appears > foot pedal response > key letter disappears,
record RT
--- foil letter appears > no response > foil letter disappears after a
given time, record response if incorrect
--- repeat randomly
--- Primary task completed > research presses key > record total trial time
Primary task instruction onset
etc.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if I need to provide more
information. I'll keep trying different things in the meantime. Most of my
experience with Eprime has been in the gui interface rather than the inline
commands, so I'm pretty inexperienced on that end, but I'm definitely
willing to learn.

Thanks in advance for your time,