Removing within-subject & within-session outliers in EdataAid

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 7 23:10:38 UTC 2013

To eliminate all RTs greater than a certain fixed value, just use a
filter in E-DataAid, or in the Analyze tool of E-DataAid -- I am
pretty sure that this is covered in the tutorial Guides that came
with E-Prime (and I also cover this in my online course).

If you want custom filters for individual subjects or for individual
sessions of each subject, or if you want the filter criterion to be
derived from some computation based on the data, then I think you
will have to use another tool, as far as I know those sorts of
analyses go beyond what E-DataAid can do and what it is meant to
do.  As you already know, E-DataAid will easily reveal mean RTs for
each subject, or for each session of each subject, but from there you
have to explort data and do the rest in Excel, SPSS, Systat, or what have you.

I do like E-DataAid and its Analyze feature a lot for initial data
preparation (e.g., filtering rows and selecting columns to export)
and for initial exploration of descriptive statistics, and I devote
one lesson in my online course to covering these uses, but after that
I would export the data for further analysis (e.g., hypothesis
testing, ANOVA, etc.).

Just my $.02, curious to hear from others.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----