E-Prime Stability

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 10 14:59:07 UTC 2013

Hi Michiel,

I'm still plodding along using an XP box for my main development
platform, EP Pro latest version and it seems to be much more stable than
you've experienced: P(crash per 1hr) << 5%. Although I haven't done
anything particularly unusual or exploratory lately.

I have had quite a few crashes on running during development - the usual
difficulties getting videos to work; loading nested Lists from file; but
none of these are related to e-studio stability.

Copy-pasting from multiple open experiments, no problem at all; dragging
objects around, ditto. No weird red X's either. Probably your
development and mine is comparing apples and oranges, but my rate of
crashes within E-Studio 2.x has been pretty constant (and low) for quite
some time. Maybe it's more stable on XP?

Obviously this isn't much of a long term solution given the impending
end of support for XP and perhaps some strong institutional pressure to
move on.... I'd be interested to know about others' experiences too.

best,
DV

On 10/10/2013 14:20, Cognitology wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Given that E-Prime 2 is now pretty much a final release, I was
> wondering how many of you feel it remains **particularly** instable? I
> mean, E-Studio (2, pro), latest version, and I don’t stupid crashes
> (say, recursively calling the sessionproc from a list within
> sessionproc). Just things like
>
> ·Writing inline:
>
> Try typing:
>
> /*
>
> Hoppa
>
> */.
>
> Works! Automatically becomes
>
> ‘/*
>
> ‘Hoppa
>
> ‘*/.
>
> Now commented out. However, type in an inline (not the user part)
>
> ‘/*
>
> Hoppa
>
> */....CRASH!
>
> ·Just dragging objects around, adding attributes, all sorts of
> randomness. Sometimes, there are nice big red crosses where graphics
> usually are.
>
> The latter is the more annoying part. In general, when I’m developing
> something, on both my laptop and home pc (both win7prox64), this
> happens. In my experience, in fact, most people, even if they are very
> experienced, have random stability issues with e-studio. My question
> then is: does the list have similar issues? Say, if you’ve been doing
> some development, what is the chance that e-prime will crash within 60
> minutes? I’m estimating it at 80% here.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michiel
>
> Michiel Sovijärvi-Spapé
>
> Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
>
> Aalto & Helsingin Yliopisto,
>
> Finland
>
> --

David Vinson, Ph.D.
ESRC Research Fellow
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)