the procedure loops and each next cycle of it reduces

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 4 09:55:29 UTC 2013

Dear Ula,

 From your message it's not entirely clear how your experiment is meant
to be structured.

By "trail" I am not sure whether you mean
(a) two practice cycles of the same task people will do in the actual
experiment, which should occur first,
or
(b) the events ("trials") which occur within each cycle ("block") of the
experiment

And it is not entirely clear to me what the problem is, so I'm guessing
a bit:

If your actual experiment cycles are specified in 8 rows of a List
object, selecting Offset, Order By Subject will start at a row number
corresponding to the subject's number and then, proceed sequentially,
after completing row #8 it will go back to row #1 and continue until
your exit conditions are met.   for example subject 3 would start at row
3, and so on.   If subsequent cycles are reducing in number from what
you intended maybe you need to double-check what your exit conditions
are for the list.

Finally, if your procedure isn't running as many trials as you think it
should, a more reliable way to check on this is to look over your data
files - your participants' self-reports after the study may not be the
most accurate indication of what is actually being displayed.   And if
you look at the data files you may be able to explain more clearly what
the problem is.

I hope this helps!
DavidV

On 03/09/2013 22:25, unixusik at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I have been doing my research for the MA lately and I have problems
> with my procedure in e-prime.
> Like I wrote in the topic the procedure loops (against my intentions)
> and I don't know why.
> Also, I discovered after a while (when I questioned some respondents),
> the procedure reduces itself.
>
> I have two cycles of trail, and eight cycles of actual experiment. But
> only the part with
> the 8 cycles of the experiment loops.
>
> I think it might be connected with settings which I did for the
> /experiment' /s /selection overlap/.
> The selection is set on /offset/ (order) and /subject/ (order by). I
> did it because I wanted that every respondent
> starts on different part oh the cycles (because inside each cycle the
> order has to be sequential).
> But I am not sure that my settings are ok. I know what I want to
> achieve but somewhere I make a mistake.
>
> Do I think wright? Or maybe the problem is elsewhere?
>
> Thank you for your concern.
>
> Regards,
> Ula
> --

David Vinson, Ph.D.
ESRC Research Fellow
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)