Button releases & Reaction time

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 10:14:35 UTC 2014

Hi CL,

I think you just need to use the {-key} format to detect releases, e.g.
{-1}{-2}
for releases of keys 1 and 2, vs
12
which indicates presses only.

You might consider enabling the device to detect both presses and
releases - having designed a vaguely similar experiment myself I found
it useful to detect that a participant had pressed the button before a
stimulus onset, and also that no release had occurred during a short
interval before that stimulus started.  This way if they pressed but
failed to hold a key, it would display an error message and restart the
trial.   At least in our design, piloting suggested this happened often
enough it was worth the extra work to implement.

all the best,
DavidV

On 03/04/2014 11:43, Clément Letesson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I designed an experiment where participants have to execute different
> actions after watching a video. Participants have to keep their index
> fingers pressing two specific buttons on a response box. I want to
> record the reaction time from when the video stops to the button
> release but it does not work.
>
> I specified that "Button release" was the only response collection
> mode but when trying to apply the configuration to the slide where
> participants have to execute the actions, I get an error message:
> "value contains presses and device is not accepting presses" and I do
> not really get why this is happening ... It appears I can not make
> eprime record the RT's from the button releases.
>
> Any insights/advice/explanations ?
>
> All the best and thanks in advance,
>
> CL
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/3cc66cfd-cd9b-4f19-a950-4fce6d7d63f2%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/3cc66cfd-cd9b-4f19-a950-4fce6d7d63f2%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Vinson, Ph.D.
ESRC Research Fellow
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)