Help with finding a compatible headset microphone for E-Prime SRbox

Steve Frost frosts at haskins.yale.edu
Thu Apr 10 16:25:35 UTC 2014

Alain,

I have tried 12 different headset microphone models with limited success.
The best luck I have had is using the Audio-Technica ATM75 but sometimes it
works flawlessly and other times... well, not so much. I believe I have a
list somewhere of the various versions that I tried but offhand I can only
recall having no luck with various Turtle Beach models (e.g.,  ear force
z2) and Steel series Siberia v2 and the Astro A40. If you do happen to find
a set that works reliably with the SRbox please post back to the list. This
is a major issue for my group and one that PST hasn't really given any
effort to addressing sadly.

If you haven't already received your response from PST, here is the base
information you will receive from them:

the SRBox is designed only to work with dynamic, non-amplified microphones.
Dynamic mics do not require power, but generate their own electrical signal
(basically performing the opposite function of a speaker). You should
double-check that your mic is not an electret type microphone and therefore
not compatible. Most electret microphones require power from the unit they
are connecting to (center ring of the stereo connector), and the SRBox does
not supply that powered connection. If the microphone is not self-powered,
it may function with the SRBox, but we cannot guarantee such functionality
or recommend trying it.

The reason why most headsets will not work with the SRBox is because the
majority use condenser elements. Condenser microphones can be made much
smaller (and less conspicuous) than dynamics without compromising
performance. Also, there are limited choices because most headsets these
days come with USB plugs instead of 1/8" mini (or anything that can easily
be converted to 1/8" mini plugs).

 Here are the specs for the original mic that came with Eprime:

ELEMENT: Moving coil dynamic

POLAR PATTERN: Cardioid

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 80 - 12,000 Hz

OPEN CIRCUIT SENSITIVITY: -59 dBm +/- 3 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa

IMPEDANCE: 500 ohms +/- 30%

WEIGHT 5.3 oz (150 g) 16.5' (5.0 m)