How to limit the list samples OR to a certain time depending on which condition is met first.

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 23:10:44 UTC 2014

Oops, something went wrong when hitting the tab and enter key, so let me
restart:

One way of doing this, is to start with storing the trigger time of the
scanner in a global variable. You need to declare this variable in the
'User' tab page of the script window:

   Dim lTriggerTime as long

Then, assign the trigger time to this global variable. Assuming you have an
object that waits for the trigger signal (say a Text object called
WaitForTrigger), you should add an inline script immediately after this
object and enter the following:

   lTriggerTime = WaitForTrigger.RTTime

Then, at the end of the trial, add an inline script with the following:

   if Clock.Read>=lTriggerTime+3*60000 then
     TrialList.Terminate
   end if

(Assuming the list is called TrialList.) Make sure to set the TrialList
properties to stop after 25 trials.

One may argue that it would be easier to put the time limit in the 'Exit
List' properties of TrialLIst, and simply keep a trial counter to check for
N=25. However, for fMRI analysis it is often very convenient to store all
relevant onset and response times as output attributes, which are measured
relative to the trigger time. This is easy to do once you have the start
time available as global variable. For example, the following script (at
the end of the trial) would save the relative onsetttime as StimOnset in
the edat file:

   c.SetAttrib "StimOnset", CStr(Stim.OnsetTime - lTriggerTime)

Best,
Paul