Trying to present visual and audio together - getting 16ms lag

Rob Manchester robmanc2014 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 17:33:01 UTC 2014

I'm trying to edit someone else's experiment in E-Prime V1.

They have a procedure that contains 8 objects. 4 of these objects are
slides which contain images. The slides have duration = 0. The other 4
objects are bits of inline code that calls another procedure which contains
1) a slide with duration 1000 which has a 'soundout' object of duration
1000 that terminates on a keyboard response.  2) a further bit of code =
sleep(1000-c.getattrib("TonePlay.rt")). This last bit of code I think tries
to ensure that the procedure lasts 1000 regardless of the reaction time to
the sound.

The image slides are interespersed with the inline code that call the audio
procedure i.e.

Image Slide Duration = 0
Code calling audio proc, duration 1000ms
Image Slide Duration = 0
Code calling audio proc, duration 1000ms
Image Slide Duration = 0
Code calling audio proc, duration 1000ms
Image Slide Duration = 0
Code calling audio proc, duration 1000ms

My screen refresh is 60hz. The idea of the code is that the Images and
Audio display together for 1000s each, with the audio (but not the image)
terminating on response. It works apart from the fact that the audio loads
16/17ms after the image - i.e. 1 screen refresh. The ISI between sucessive
audio stimuli is 1034ms rather than 1000ms (i.e. two screen refreshes too
long). Could anyone tell me why these delays are occurring? I presume the
system is losing a refresh for every object loading (i.e. a delay = to a
screen refresh is occuring when E-prime moves between the slide object and
the inline code object. I've tried putting a pre-release value of 20ms on
the slides but this doesn't seem to have had any effect. Does any have any
ideas as to how to solve this?

Thanks
Rob