Sound onset and response time issues

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:06:43 UTC 2014

Zilong,

1) First and foremost, please thoroughly study the "Critical Timing"
chapter in the User's Guide that came with E-Prime.

2) The RT is relative to the OnsetTime of the E-Object that plays the
sound, e.g.,
     StimSlide.RT = StimSlide.RTTime - StimSlide.OnsetTime
(do not take my word for that, please look for yourself).  Note that
the audio hardware may impose additional delays so that actual onset
of sound lags even further behind OnsetTime, to test this you would
need additional equipment (e.g., oscilloscope or Black Box Toolkit).

3) Yes, you should be able to trust the RT values even with large
OnsetDelay values.  But you do well to verify this yourself with
external testing equipment as mentioned above.

Finally, look at
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/OeiZ00V9SRc for a
discussion of the various time audit measures.

Best,
-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) You may reach PST's
trained staff (and other support facilities) at
https://support.pstnet.com .  3) If you do get an answer from PST
staff, please extend the courtesy of posting their reply back here
for the sake of others.
\----