Collect response during blank

Aad Pors aadpors at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 08:50:51 UTC 2014

Dear all,

*The experiment*
250 ms text stimulus followed by a 900 ms empty text screen (blank). Single
keyboard button responses thoughout this cycle of 1150 ms.

*The goal*
To collect multiple button presses and releases that are omitted during
on-screen time of the stimulus (StimExp) and the blank (BlankExp), with
their respective response times.

*The InLine script*

*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *

 Dim theResponseObject As RteRunnableInputObject
Set theResponseObject = CRteRunnableInputObject(Rte.GetObject("StimExp"))

'If the assert below fires, then the object named in the line above does
not exist
Debug.Assert Not theResponseObject Is Nothing

'Counter variable for the number of responses made
Dim nPressCount As Long

'Counter variable
Dim nIndex As Integer

'Used to set attributes for statistics
Dim strStatistic As String
 'Enumerate through the response collection
'If any of the responses were made by the keyboard, display
'the statistics to the user.
For nIndex = 1 To theResponseObject.InputMasks.Responses.Count

'Set theKeyboardResponseData equal to the current keyboard response
Dim theKeyboardResponseData As KeyboardResponseData
Set theKeyboardResponseData =
CKeyboardResponseData(theResponseObject.InputMasks.Responses(nIndex))
If Not theKeyboardResponseData Is Nothing Then

'Increment the press count
nPressCount = nPressCount + 1

'Log reaction time and response for each key press.
c.SetAttrib "KeyPress" & nIndex & "RT", theKeyboardResponseData.RT
c.SetAttrib "KeyPress" & nIndex & "RESP", theKeyboardResponseData.RESP
 End If

Next 'nIndex

*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -*

*The problem*
The time limit in the StimExp object has been set to 1150 ms. Therefore,
Eprime does what it is supposed to do: it records all button presses and
releases (as set by me), but keeps records on the response time of the last
input only. Te Script works, as long as the responses are provided during
the on-screen time of the stimulus. Inputs whilst the blank is being
presented are not recorded by the script.

*The question*
How do I solve this problem? I can't figure it out on my own.

Regards,

Aad

PS, the origin of the script is the Multiple Responses example of PST
support.