Video buffering issue

Michiel Sovijärvi-Spapé mspape at cognitology.eu
Thu Aug 28 18:39:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

This is an informal group, rather than an official support forum, of volunteers, rather than employees – just to point out that one doesn’t always get response. I think in general, people don’t feel obliged to respond to ill-formulated questions to which they are required to fish for more information – unless the solution is extremely straightforward.

In any case:

*         AVI is not a codec, it’s a container format. That means that virtually any type of compressor could have been used (e.g. divx). In other words, it’s about as useful as saying I’m presenting an image (they are PICTURES).

Diagnostic steps:

*         Have you tried: running the experiment on a different computer?

*         With a new E-Prime version (yeah, I know, Netstation can be a pain like that, but do press them to update their software!) on the same computer? It’s helpful to diagnose whether the problem is an old E-Prime issue.

*         Have you tried using the same videos in a different “known to work” experiment? (like the sample video experiment)

*         Have you tried re-compressing the videos to some other codec? There are many that pretty much always work.

If you go through these steps, the chance is pretty high you’ll find out what’s the problem. Let us know if you do!

BTW: the original “th3rav3n” problem seems to be inability to play long videos – the current issue seems to be short ones instead.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Michiel

Dr. Michiel M. Spapé

Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT

Aalto & Helsinki University

Finland

-------