Issue with .ebs2 file and sounds on Windows 7 with High Definition Audio Device as audio driver

Adam Liter adam.liter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 23:29:58 UTC 2014

I'm building an E-Prime experiment using E-Prime version 2.0.10.242.

The computer that I'm building this experiment on is an old computer
running Windows XP. On this computer, when I try running the .ebs2 file,
everything works perfectly. The audio driver on this computer is SB Live!
24-Bit.

However, when I try running the .ebs2 file on a computer running Windows 7
with the High Definition Audio Device as the audio driver, I get an error:

The following runtime error occurred:

Unable to load sound 203 - please view the AudioReport in your experiment
folder

Line: 646
Error Number: 1234

However, the exact same file works perfectly on a Windows 7 machine with
the Realtek Audio HD Driver.

I've also tried building the .es2 file from the newest version of E-Prime,
version 2.0.10.353. Yet this .ebs2 file also does not work on a Windows 7
machine with the High Definition Audio Device as audio driver, either.

I assume the audio driver is the issue, as the .ebs2 file works perfectly
on another Windows 7 machine with a different audio driver.

Does anyone know of any way around this issue? Or, if you don't think it's
the audio driver that is the issue, does anyone know what else could
possibly be going on?

I work in a lab on a university campus, and all the computers in our labs
on campus are managed by our IT department. The software on every machine
on campus all comes from the same image, and I have no ability to change
the OS or the audio driver.

Ultimately, then, those are the machines that we have to test on. Does
anyone know if there is a possible solution to this issue, given that I
have to run the actual experiment on these machines?