Issue with .ebs2 file and sounds on Windows 7 with High Definition Audio Device as audio driver

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Feb 7 16:19:50 UTC 2014

Adam,

Hmm, I do not know what to say about the "High Definition Audio
Device".  What sound API do you use for your .es2 file?  On my
EP2.0.10.242/353 installations, if I open the Experiment Object
properties, go to the Devices tab, and open the Sound device, under
API I find ASIO, Chronos, CoreAudio, and DirectSound as options, with
DirectSound as the default.  In my own tests using a Black Box
Toolkit on one Windows 7 64-bit machine running EP2.0.10.242, I got
the best performance using the CoreAudio API --  I measured latencies
of 7.25-12.25 ms from OnsetTime to actual sound delivery (as compared
to the same machine booted to Windows XP 32-bit and using the
DirectSound API with EP2.0.10.242, where I measured latencies of
31.25-33.75 ms).  More to your point, the sound worked.  But as I
said, I do not know what to say about the "High Definition Audio Device".

So I hope someone else can help here.  You might best take this to
PST Support (see below) -- in particular, they might be able to
interpret that AudioReport file.

Best,
-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----