Using user input as a prime

SP kraeutermann at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 24 18:19:16 UTC 2014

Dear E-Prime community,
me and my colleague are working on a project with E-Prime where we want to
give people a task in which they type in input and then use their written
sentences to prime them later on. We have three different conditions with
three different instructions/input with which we want to prime the
participants.

I first generated a random number and then my idea was to display the input
based on the random number assigned before. I created the different input
objects (as text displays within the GUI named negrealityelab etc.), but
cannot access them in the script to display them (first as an instruction)
and then as a prime later in the experiment.

The little script below is what I have come up with so far, but it doesnt
work...and I don't know how to specify the prime as for duration and such.

#Create random number

Dim g_rand as Integer
g_rand = Random(1,3)
c.SetAttrib "g_rand_cond", g_rand

#Display input task based on random number

Select Case c.GetAttrib("g_rand")
case = 1, display c.GetAttrib("negrealityelab")
case = 2, display c.GetAttrib("posfutureelab")
case = 3, display c.GetAttrib("mcposfuturelab")
End Select

#Prime participants with their input

Select Case c.GetAttrib("g_rand")
case = 1, display "negrealityelab.RESP"
case = 2, display "posfutureelab.RESP"
case = 3, display "mcposfuturelab.RESP"

-----

Alternatively to just display instructions this should work, right?

If g_rand = 1 then
inputtext1 = "negrealityelab"
End if

If g_rand = 2 then
inputtext2 = "posfutureelab"
End if

If g_rand = 3 then
inputtext3 = "mcposfuturelab"
End if

I havent found anything similar to this problem online so I thought why not
ask the question here.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Best ~ Simon