how to retrieve attribute info from a specific trial/line

theorzak . suleguney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 05:20:21 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I just start using E-prime to design a new experiment. As I am not familiar
with the software, I have some difficulties in implementing some procedural
conditions into the experiment. So in the experiment, there are two stages
1) the decision making stage, 2) payment stage. In the decision making the
participants are making a decision in a binary choice task (i.e., $100 for
sure or $120 with 96%) across 480 trials. Each trial, the former option is
fixed, but latter varies. I've programmed this stage (even though it is
probably not the most efficient way - there are 480 lines in a list,
different attributes - like risk, amount, sure amount etc-and they are
being randomly presented).

My problem is about 2) payment stage. What I need to do is to randomly
select 1 of these 480 trials (or lines), retrieve the relevant info
regarding its attributes, and pay in accordance with the participant's
choice:

So for instance one line/trial is randomly selected.
Say the "sure" attribute for that specific line is "$100 for sure, and the
"risk" attribute is "$120 with 96% chance".

*Question 1 then: How could I retrieve the information re: attributes of a
randomly selected trial/line?*

Say we found the line and the relevant attributes. Then I need to know the
participant's decision for that specific trial (i..e, did the participant
choose the "sure" or the "risky" option).

*Question 2: How could I retrieve info re: the participant's response for
that specific trial?*

Then if the participant selected the "risky" one then s/he will indeed have
a chance to receive $120 with 96%.

I think this is the easiest part - I can handle it.

I'd really appreciate any pointers re: Question 1 and Question 2. Thanks in
advance...

Cheers,
Sule