Combining Event and Cumulative Timing in one Trial

kyleheidtman2012 at u.northwestern.edu kyleheidtman2012 at u.northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 28 22:00:44 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm designing a task for an fMRI experiment, so I've been using cumulative
timing in order to ensure the experiment kept pace with the scanner.

However, two of the stimuli are displayed for very brief periods (~70msec
and ~30msec), and I found that cumulative timing altered the duration of
the displays by a rather larger amount.

I've tried using event timing for just those two stimuli, and I found that
they're duration is now much closer to what it should be.

Now, I'm worried if this will cause unacceptable delays in the task, and I
have a few questions.

   1. Is it ever acceptable to combine Event and Cumulative timing in one
   trial?
   2. Is the ".OnsetDelay" variable equal to the *total* amount that a
   stimulus is delayed?  Or is it just the amount of *additional* delay?
   3. Does an average OnsetDelay of ~50 msec seem acceptable to you all?
   4. Does EPrime automatically correct for OnsetDelays or do I need to add
   a script that sums the OnsetDelays for a given trial and then subtracts
   that time from the ITI (or something similar)?

Thank you,

Kyle