Presentation of multiple images during one soundfile

Ieva Zeromskaite nebizzy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 14:46:31 UTC 2014

Dear E-primers,

I would appreciate very much if anybody could help me with the issues I
have with my experiment.
I looked up similar topics in previous threads but could not find an answer
I need. Several people who are good at E-prime have not been able to solve
the issue I have, so I thought I'd ask here.

The main issue is that I need to present a series of images while one
soundfile is playing continuously.
I have 2 conditions : 1) the in-synchrony condition when images are
presented on the beat of soundfile 2) the out-of-synchrony condition when
images are presented off-beat
I have 2 soundfiles - one lasts 2 seconds, and the other - 12 seconds. In
terms of sound, I need the first 2 sec file to play once at the start of
the block, and the second one (12secs) to be played in a loop straight
after the first one. The 'loopfile' consists of 4 measures, and each
measure (3s) has 4 beats at 0, 750ms, 1500ms and 2250ms. The fourth beat is
a 'silent' beat, and in the -in-sync condition the image should appear on
that fourth silent beat.

In out-of-sync condition, the first image should appear at the very start
of the second soundfile (the loopfile) and the next ones should appear in
every 3 seconds. In in-sync condition, the first image should appear 250ms
after the loopfile starts, and again, the other images - every 3 seconds.
Images are presented for 250ms followed by 2750ms of fixation cross.

So visually, what happens is:
IN-SYNC: 1.beginning file (2s) 2.loopfile (12seconds and repeats itself) 3.
the images (changes every 3 seconds) start 250ms after the start of
loopfile, and the loopfile keeps playing until all the images are shown.
OUT-OF-SYNC: 1.beginning file (2s). 2. loopfile starts at the same time as
picture presentation (changes every 3 seconds), the loopfile keeps playing,
same as in the in-sync condition.
Participants give their responses (to a question 'have you seen this face
before?' after that brief presentation of every face for 250ms). This
experiment will test if the working memory is enhanced when face images are
presented in-synchrony with the musical beat.

This is my last-resort help call, if anybody could help me with this, I'd
be eternally grateful:)

Thank you in advance!

Ieva