Serial USB relay: Adding time-stamps to EEG Recordings

Jodie jodie at naimfeil.org
Tue Jan 21 12:24:58 UTC 2014

Hello Forum,

I am having a little bit of trouble with my USB relay setup. Essentially, I
have a USB 4-relay board which I using to communicate between E-prime and
Biosemi.
My plan is to timestamp in the EEG recording when the stimulus event is
being shown. My current script is the following (which just opens and
closes the USB relay):

This in-line is immediately before the stimulus presentation:
----------------------------------
Dim arrDataa(2) As Integer

arrDatag(0) = 255
arrDatag(1) = 1
arrDatag(2) = 1

Serial.WriteBytes arrDataa
---------------------------------

Following by the Stimulus presentation

Then, this in-line is immediately after the stimulus presentation:

----------------------------------
Dim arrDatab(2) As Integer

arrDatag(0) = 255
arrDatag(1) = 1
arrDatag(2) = 0

Serial.WriteBytes arrDatab
---------------------------------

The script works nicely and is able to time-stamp into the Biosemi
recording. The problem is that while it works perfectly for when the trigger
code is sent (lets say a 64 time-stamp appears in the trigger of Biosemi),
when I 'stop' the trigger (after the stimulus is presented), there is a
time-stamp of 64 with a zero underneath in the Biosemi recordings. This is
problematic for when I try to analyse the EEG data because all of the start
and stop events are saved as the same 64 time-stamps (it ignores the zero
below the 64 in the 'stop' time-stamp condition) and therefore, the 'stop'
is considered the same event as the initiation of the time-stamp.

I contacted Biosemi and they told me that the issue is with the scripting
in E-prime. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to fix
this problem?
It would be much appreciated!!

I hope I have been clear?

Thank you for your help.