Mathematical task

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jan 21 18:55:49 UTC 2014

Shai,

Regarding timing quality with HTML, etc...  The last time I looked at
this, web browsers used the system clock, and the MS DOS/Windows
system clock ran with a default resolution of about 55 ms.  That was
many years ago, and for all I know things have changed since
then.  That also applied only to MS DOS/Windows.  Of course, using
HTML, etc., you could run the program on other platforms (e.g.,
Apple, Linux), and their system clocks may provide different
resolutions -- as I recall, when I tested this with a Macintosh
(before OS X) I got 1 ms resolution.  You would have to run your own
timing tests on any platform, and also bear in mind that *resolution*
is not the same as *accuracy*, as discussed, e.g., in the E-Prime User's Guide.

Given all that, I would find HTML, etc. suitable for designs that
required resolution no better than, say, 100 ms.  For anything
better, I would go to E-Prime, DirectRT, MATLAB, PsychoPy, C/C++/C#, etc.

-- David McFarlane