Mathematical task

Cognitology mspape at cognitology.eu
Tue Jan 21 10:05:08 UTC 2014

Hi,

Shouldn’t be all that hard at all, but David touches on an important topic: you need to think deep and hard about how you wish to design it. Why, for instance, if you’re interested in millisecond precision, are you showing all questions at the same time? It will take less time to answer question 10 than question 1, for many reasons: because of training (motor, cognition, etc), because perhaps you need to move the mouse, but also because presumably, your students will have read, for instance, a bit of question 5 before they have answered question 1 – therefore, some previewing can be assumed. How do you know, then, that the ms between answering question 4 and answering question 5 reflect the cognitive processing time of question 5? These kinds of uncertainties will make it useless to record reaction time, certainly in milliseconds. E-Prime is generally really great for very well specified designs, for instance:

1)      Show fixation.

2)      Show equation 223 + 123 = 346. Centrally on the screen, until response.

3)      Subject responds LEFT if the answer is correct, or RIGHT if the answer is incorrect.

4)      Repeat, from random list, and include 50% wrong answers as well (for example 223 + 123 = 364, which has similar visual appearance).

This, I think, is the level of detail in which E-Prime shines; other levels are possible, but are, as David suggests, probably best investigated with a different approach. I hope you find my comments helpful.

Best,

Michiel