Does SRBOX/Microphone setup effect RTs?

David Ruvolo davidruvolo51 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 14:54:25 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a question regarding using a microphone for measuring RT and audio
input for a battery I am working on.

I am debating on whether using a audio splitter (a y cable) to send the
signal to the SRBOX and the computer's recording device vs. using two
microphones. If I choose to use two microphones, this creates extra
environmental stimuli, would make positioning the microphones and testing
the setup in the middle of data collection very time consumming (I am using
non SRBOX tasks and SRBOX tasks that have a set order), this might create
inconsistencies with data collection (each individual has a slightly
different positioning, sound doesn't capture, etc), and the whole
experience might be overwhelming for the participant. On the other hand,
using the splitter would eliminate this issue, but I am not sure if there
would result in differences in RT logged by E-Prime (this would be in ms
and could make or break our outcomes).

Does setup (using a splitter vs. two microphones) effect reaction time? I
would be interested to know if anyone has looked into this, had any
experience using either setup, or measured this.  Feel free to let me know
or tell me I am overthinking this.

Thanks,

David