Prerelease and data logging

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jun 5 19:59:47 UTC 2014

Ceci,

Looks like you got it.  And if you log the StartTime for the object
that follows the 100 ms PreRelease, you should find that it is close
to the OffsetTime of the previous object.  So if you have something like

FixationText (PreRelease=100)
StimImage

then the 100 ms PreRelease time of FixationText is taken up with the
time used to run any code between FixationText.FinishTime and
StimImage.StartTime (e.g., loading image files), and StimImage just
sitting idle until StimImage.OnsetTime.  (StimImage.OnsetTime will of
course follow StimImage.TargetOnsetTime, with potential delay added
for screen refresh synchronization.)

BTW, in general if you use any PreRelease at all, then you might as
well make it large, e.g., same as Duration (and in fact this has
become the default behavior since EP2.0.10).  At the same time, using
PreRelease does run the risk of other "gothchas" with regard to using
and logging responses that happen during the PreRelease period, but
EP2.0.10 also adds specific safeguards to help with that.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----