Randomization with nested lists

annekehaddad at gmail.com annekehaddad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 15:47:11 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with the randomization of some nested lists.

The overall structure of my experiment is as follows.

There are three stimuli, A, B, and C and 6 blocks. In each block,
participants first "view" three pairs of stimuli, and then "rate" three
pairs of stimuli. Within each block, each unique pair of stimuli (AB, AC,
and BC) should appear exactly once in the "view" section and exactly once
in the "rate" section. The position of each stimulus (left or right) should
be counterbalanced within the "view" sections across the whole experiment
and similarly within the "rate" sections across the whole experiment.

Thus across the whole experiment, stimulus A should appear on the left 6
times in the "view" context and 6 times in the "rate" context and similarly
for the other stimuli - but I am having difficulty getting the position
(left/right) to counterbalance properly.

My experimental setup looks something like this:

Experiment
 -BlockList (ThreeViewTrialsProc,ThreeRateTrialsProc) 12 samples (6 cycles
x 2 samples/cycle), 1 cycle equals 2 samples, seq. selection
    -ThreeViewTrialsProc
       -PairingsList1 (three rows showing the three pairs) 3 samples, 1
cycle equals 3 samples, random selection
            -nested within this LeftRightList1 (two rows showing the l/r
orientations) 1 sample, 1 cycle equals 2 samples, random selection
               -ViewProc
    -ThreeRateTrialsProc
       -PairingsList2 (three rows showing the three pairs) 3 samples, 1
cycle equals 3 samples, random selection
            -nested within this is LeftRightList2 (two rows showing the l/r
orientations) 1 sample, 1 cycle equals 2 samples, random selection
               -RateTrialProc

I get the right number of pairs of each type, but I seem to get one too
many of, for example, A on the left. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Anneke